DACHSHUND BREEDERS AUSTRALIA
Who back score
Choosing an ethical Dachshund breeder
People who are considering adding a Dachshund puppy to their lives often reach out to our charity for guidance. Their shared goal is to avoid the pain and challenges they’ve either witnessed or personally endured while caring for a dog affected by IVDD.
When it comes to welcoming a new puppy into your life, being well-informed is your best defence. There’s a wealth of information available, but its reliability can vary. Invest the time to educate yourself on ethical breeding practices. This not only safeguards the welfare of animals but also contributes to a positive and fulfilling experience for both you and your future pup.
Prevalence of IVDD and what causes it
The heightened risk of Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) among Dachshunds can be attributed to their chondrodysplastic (dwarf) anatomy and elongated backs plus environmental and lifestyle factors.
Based on current data, it is evident that approximately 25% of Dachshunds will experience some form of back disease in their lifetime. This prevalence is significantly higher, around 10-12 times, than what would be expected in the general population of dogs. For more information, please refer to: Dachshund IVDD UK Prevalence Data
This alarming trend is currently escalating, partially due to the proliferation of unregistered “backyard” breeders. These breeders often fail to consider the long-term health and well-being of the puppies they produce, exacerbating the issue including neglecting essential practices like back scoring, which can help identify Dachshunds at higher risk of developing Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD).
Mitigating the risk of IVDD by choosing a breeder that back-scores
Back scoring is a practice that evaluates the genetic risk of IVDD by assessing the presence of disc calcifications. Choosing a breeder who back scores their dogs help reduce the risk of inheriting this condition in your Dachshund puppy. By doing so, you’re taking proactive steps to provide your future pet with the best chance for a healthy life.
What is back-scoring?
Back-scoring is not a foolproof method to ensure that IVDD will not occur in litters of back-scored dogs, as its outcome depends on a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Nevertheless, it is a preventive measure aimed at lowering the likelihood of IVDD in Dachshunds, recognising that the condition has a hereditary component.
- DISA has compiled the following information to aid potential owners in their research prior to making a purchase. It’s important to note that we do not assume responsibility for the accuracy, comprehensiveness, or suitability of the information provided.
- X-ray screening is just one tool to assist in reducing the risk of IVDD in Dachshunds. Various lifestyle factors can also contribute to the development of this condition.
- The decision to acquire a Dachshund puppy and all associated responsibilities ultimately lies with the prospective owner. We strongly recommend consulting with reputable breeders and conducting thorough research to make informed decisions regarding the well-being of your future pet.
- It is important to note that not all breeders who advertise that they back-score have back-scored all their breeding dogs, therefore is the prospective owner’s responsibility to request a CERTIFICATE FOR INTERVERTEBRAL DISC CALCIFICATIONS as a means of confirming that the Dame and/or Sire of the proposed puppy to be purchased has been back-scored and to discuss the results with the Breeder to make an informed decision.
- This list has been provided to assist potential owners in making informed choices when purchasing a Dachshund and is not an official record of Back-Scoring Breeders which is currently available at https://www.nationaldachshund.com/index.php/health-and-welfare/surveys/
The following directory consists of breeders in Australia who have conducted IVD back scoring. These breeders have the option to screen all or select dachshunds before breeding. DISA recommends reviewing all test results before acquiring your next pet from your chosen breeder.
|Aashudna||NSW||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0422 369 962||Website|
|Basito||NSW||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0411 430 644||Website
|Boskahun||SA||Standard Smooth Dachshunds||0408 150 293|
|Buttdonn||QLD||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0438 464 904||Facebook
|Dacaldorf||QLD||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0427 512 557||Website
|Kamahi and Emmiline||VIC||Standard & Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||Website|
|Langtally||QLD||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0402 160 017||Facebook Page
|Royaldragon||WA||Miniature Smooth Dachshunds||0407 595 390||Facebook
|Tischamingo||NSW||Standard Smooth Dachshunds||02 49532684||Website